Mist · 63°
Flood Resources & Information

Flood Resources

Lyon County is compiling resources related to the ongoing flooding issues.


Temporary Housing Program

The Iowa Disaster Recovery Temporary Housing Program is now available in Lyon County.

Get Housing Assistance

D-SNAP Food Assistance

The D-SNAP (disaster supplemental nutrition assistance) gives food assistance to low-income households with food loss or damage caused by a natural disaster. Note: This program starts Monday, July 8, 2024.

Hours & Locations

Lyon County Disaster Recovery Center

Forster Community Center
404 First Ave. Rock Rapids, IA 51246

July 10 | Open 1:00 - 6:00 p.m.
Mondays - Sundays | 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

FEMA funding is available to homeowners and renters in Buena Vista, Cherokee, Clay, Emmet, Lyon, O’Brien, Plymouth, and Sioux counties who suffered damage from the flooding and storms on June 16 and continuing.

To save time, apply online or by phone before visiting a Disaster Recovery Center by:

  • Visiting DisasterAssistance.gov
  • Calling FEMA directly at 800-621-FEMA (3362)
  • Using the FEMA app

Anyone using a relay service, such as a video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, can give FEMA number for that service. Watch this accessible video on three ways to apply for FEMA assistance.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency, or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 833-285-7448. Press 2 for Spanish.

Damaged Wells & Septic Systems

Assistance & Eligibility

Public Assistance Library

For questions, the State Public Assistance Branch Director is a great resource for reviewing program policy and requirements. 
Using the link below, click on the ‘Process of Public Assistance Grants’ tab.

Public Assistance Resource Library

Individual Assistance library

View fact sheets to get an overview of various programs that fall under the umbrella of Individual Assistance. The Individuals and Households Program (IHP) fact sheet will show what is potentially available to assist disaster impacted residents.The Individual Assistance Program Policy Guide is also available on this site. 

Individual Assistance Library

Federal Individual Assistance

Federal Individual Assistance Available to Lyon County Residents

Other Needs Assistance (ONA)

Here is some information on types of Other Needs Assistance the survivors could be eligible for. Applicants may receive money for other disaster-caused necessary expenses and serious needs. These funds count toward the maximum amount of financial assistance an applicant may receive for Other Needs Assistance (ONA), which is an annually adjusted amount based on the U.S. Department of Labor’s Consumer Price Index. Personal Property Assistance for specific accessibility items defined within the ADA is not counted toward this limit.

  • Serious Needs Assistance: Money to help you pay for immediate needs such as water, food, first aid, prescriptions, infant formula, breastfeeding equipment, diapers, personal hygiene items, and fuels for transportation. *Serious Needs Assistance is available in all disasters, but you must meet eligibility requirements.
  • Displacement Assistance: For disasters declared on or after March 22, 2024, money to help with immediate housing needs if you cannot return to your home because of the disaster. The money can be used to stay in a hotel, with family and friends, or other options while you look for a rental unit.
  • Personal Property Assistance: Money to help you repair or replace appliances, room furnishings, and a computer damaged by the disaster. This can also include money for books, uniforms, tools, additional computers and other items required for school or work, including self-employment.
  • Transportation Assistance: Money to help repair or replace a vehicle damaged by a disaster when you don’t have another vehicle you can use. Unlike most other forms of the Individuals and Households Program assistance, an applicant does not need to live in the Presidentially declared disaster area to be considered for this assistance.
  • Medical and Dental Assistance: Money to help you pay for expenses because the disaster caused an injury or illness. This money can also be used to help replace medical/dental equipment, breastfeeding equipment, damaged or lost prescribed medicine, or loss/injury of a service animal.
  • Funeral Assistance: Money to help you pay for funeral or reburial expenses caused by the disaster.
  • Child Care Assistance: Money for new or increased disaster-caused child care expenses.
  • Moving and Storage Assistance: Money to help you move and store personal property from your home to prevent additional damage, typically used while you are making repairs to your home or moving to a new place due to the disaster.
  • Assistance for Miscellaneous Items: Money for certain eligible items (such as a generator, dehumidifier, chainsaw, etc.) you purchased or rented after the disaster to assist with recovery.
  • Group Flood Insurance Policy: If your home is in a Special Flood Hazard Area and you have flood damage caused by the disaster, FEMA may purchase a Group Flood Insurance Policy on your behalf that gives you three years of coverage.
  • Clean and Sanitize Assistance: Money to help you pay for very minor damage caused by the disaster to prevent additional loss and potential health or safety concerns. This money is only available in certain disasters if you had property damage but were not eligible for Home Repair or Replacement Assistance because FEMA determined you could still live safely in your home.




  • Lyon County did get a Major Presidential Declaration.
  • FEMA can now provide Public Assistance and Individual Assistance.
  • FEMA may start canvasing the damaged areas possibly this week.
  • FEMA does not have an office set up in Rock Rapids yet. Location TBD
  • FEMA will NOT just write out checks by request. They will have to apply for assistance.
  • FEMA assistance is for all of Lyon County, not just Rock Rapids.
  • All information will be posted on the Lyon County Website and the City of Rock Rapids website as information becomes available.