Heavy Rain · 66°


Department Alert


   Effective July 1, 2023, customers who DO NOT reside in Lyon County will be assessed a $10.00 convenience fee for the issuance or renewal of a driver's license or non-operator's identification card unless they pay property tax in Lyon County and are able to provide proof of payment.  THIS $10.00 CONVENIENCE FEE MUST BE PAID BY CASH.  (Iowa Code 321m.9)

Lyon County Courthouse

206 S. 2nd Ave, Suite 107
Rock Rapids, IA 51246
Driving Directions

Contact Information

(712) 472-8500 Tax
(712) 472-8509 Motor Vehicle
(712) 472-8529 Driver's License


Monday - Friday
Tax Office
8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Passport Office
8:00 am - 2:30 pm

Motor Vehicle Office
8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Driver's License Office
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Written Exams: M–F 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
Driving Tests By Appointment Only
Please visit our Driver's License page for types of license testing available.)

Holiday Closures


It is our goal to provide you with the information you need to contact us and to conveniently conduct business with this office 24 hours a day - 7 days a week. The areas of operation for the Treasurer's office are:

  • The collection of property taxes for all real estate, mobile home, and special assessments in Lyon County
  • The issuance of vehicle titles and registrations and the collection of all vehicle fees for the residents of Lyon County
  • The issuance and renewals of driver's licenses
  • The financial administration, banking services, cash management and investments for the county
  • Accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State

We strive to provide quality and courteous customer service to the residents of Lyon County and to anyone doing business with any of the departments of the Lyon County Treasurer’s Office.

Please visit us again!

Michele Stewart, Lyon County Treasurer

Payment Options

  • Cash or check payments are accepted in the office
  • Visa, Mastercard and Discover debit/credit cards are accepted in the office for taxes or motor vehicle payments (fees will apply)
  • Internet transactions are payable by: eCheck, Discover, Mastercard and Visa (fees will apply)

Any transaction returned for insufficient funds will be charged a fee of $30.00

Our Team

  • Michele Stewart, Treasurer
  • Hedy Kruger, Driver's License Examiner
  • Cheryl Bos, Chief Deputy and Motor Vehicle Deputy
  • Stacy Knobloch, Tax Deputy
  • Jamie Kelly, Clerk

Map & Directions