Home Base Iowa
Lyon County welcomes veterans to our county and hopes you take the time to explore all we have to offer. Lyon County is a great place to live, work, play and raise a family! We want it to be the next place you call home!
Home Base Iowa Employers in Lyon County
- List of Employers
- Becoming a Home Base Iowa Business
- In order to become an officially recognized Home Base Iowa Business, companies are asked to pledge to hire a certain number of veterans.
- Sign up to become a Home Base Business
Lyon County Community Support
The communities of Lyon County have adopted resolutions of support for the Home Base Iowa initiative. Communities include:
- Little Rock
- Rock Rapids
Certified Higher Academic Military Partner Program (CHAMP)
Northwest Iowa Community College is a Home Base Iowa designated college committed to meeting the needs of veterans and their partners through ongoing support and assistance in education.
- Incentives and Scholarship Information
- Northwest Iowa Community College Veterans Representative:
712-324-5066 ext. 14
Home Base Iowa Welcome Package
When you have scheduled your employment visit to a Lyon County business, please contact us to take advantage of the Lyon County Home Base Iowa Welcome Package, to get community information and a tour, housing or any other information about the community.
Steve Simons, Director
Lyon County Economic Development
Contact for Federal VA benefits and assistance:
Sharon Fuller, Director
Lyon County Veterans Affairs
Components of the Home Base Iowa Act (Senate File 303)
- Military Pension Income Tax Exemption: All Military pensions will be fully exempt from state income tax. This exemption is retroactive to January 1, 2014.
- Military Homeownership Assistance Program: A program through the Iowa Finance Authority will expand the budget to provide for up to $5000 of down payment of closing cost assistance to eligible veterans. This applies to those have served since 9/11 as well as those that served during the Gulf War of 90/91.
- Permissive Veterans Preference: The Home Base Iowa Act will clarify that it is legal for private businesses to provide veterans preferential treatment in hiring decisions.
- Occupational Licensure: Iowa's occupational licensing boards will adopt rules allowing credit for military training and experience in the licensing process.
- Education: The state Board of Education will create a uniform policy granting automatic in-state tuition to veterans, their spouses, and their dependents at Iowa's community colleges.
- License Plates: Eligible applicants will be issued veterans-related license plates (such as Purple Heart, Bronze Star, and Silver Star) for free.