Certified copies are $15.00 each.
You will need a valid ID or driver's license, be at least 18 years old and have entitlement.
If you are applying for a certified copy through the mail, you must fill out the application with your signature notarized, and we need a copy of your valid ID or driver's license and a check or money order (made out to the Lyon County Recorder and signed by remitter). Please send everything to the Lyon County Recorder at 206 S 2nd Ave., Suite 203 Rock Rapids, IA 51246.
If you have any questions, please call (712) 472-8528 Option #6
If you do not have a valid driver's license or ID, please provide alternative identification. View Identity Documents for acceptable forms of alternative IDs.
Certified copies are available from our office if:
- The event took place in Iowa between 1986 - Present
- Certified copies can be obtained through any Iowa County Recorder's Office or the State Office for events during these dates.
- The event took place between 1880 - 1921 and 1941 - 1985*
- And the event occurred in Lyon County
- And there was no adoption or single-parent birth for the Birth records in this time frame
Otherwise, the record is at the State Office. Request a record through the Iowa Department of Public Health website by clicking "Request Record" below.
*We do not have records from July 1, 1921, through June 30, 1941. They are only at the State Office.
Request Record (Link to Application, Scroll 2/3 down on page and there is a PDF of Application)
They are $5.00 cash/each.
Photocopies are available if the birth event occurred:
- In Lyon County
- Between 1880 - June 30, 1921, or July 1, 1941 - Present
The record will be noted, "Not for Legal Purposes."
Our Contact Information:
Lyon County Recorder
206 S 2nd Ave, Suite 203
Rock Rapids, IA 51246
Phone: (712) 472-8528 Option #6