Sunny · 81°
How to apply for and receive a marriage license
Applying for a Marriage License
Marriage Application is $35.00, which includes a free Certified Copy once you are married and the Certificate gets filed. The fee is due at the time your application is turned in. We do not accept personal checks.
If you pay by money order or cashier's check, please make it out to the Lyon County Recorder.
- All signatures must be notarized (Party A, Party B and the witness — a competent and disinterested person)
- All parties (wedding couple and one witness that knows the wedding couple) need to be at least 18 years old and have a valid state-issued ID such as a driver's license
- After the day of application acceptance, there is a four-calendar-day wait after the date of application before you can pick it up to get married
- We will hold it up to six months in our office
- Include phone numbers on the application
- If you apply for a marriage license in Iowa, you must get married in Iowa
If you do not have a valid driver's license or ID, please provide alternative identification. View Identity Documents for acceptable forms of alternative IDs.
There is a four-day wait after applying for a license before you can be married.
- Apply on Monday, the license will be valid on Friday
- Apply on Tuesday or Wednesday, the license will be valid on the following Monday (due to the Recorder's Office being closed on weekends)
- Apply on Thursday, the license will be valid on the following Monday
- Apply on Friday, the license will be valid on the following Tuesday
Our Contact Information:
Lyon County Recorder
206 S 2nd AVE, Suite 203
Rock Rapids, IA 51246
Phone: (712) 472-8528 Option #6