Sunny · 10°

Marriage Certificates

How to request and receive a certified marriage certificate

Requesting a Marriage Certificate


Certified copies are $15.00 each.


You will need a valid ID or driver's license, be at least 18 years old and have entitlement.

If you are applying for a certified copy through the mail, you must fill out the application with your signature notarized, and we need a copy of your valid ID or driver's license and a check or money order (made out to the Lyon County Recorder and signed by remitter). Please send everything to the Lyon County Recorder at 206 S. 2nd Ave. Ste 203, Rock Rapids, IA 51246.

If you have any questions, please call (712) 472-8528 Option #6. 


If you do not have a valid driver's license or ID, please provide alternative identification. View Identity Documents for acceptable forms of alternative IDs.


Direct and Tangible Interest

Records Available 

Certified Copies:

Certified copies are available from our office if:

  • The event took place in Iowa between 1954 - Present
    • Certified copies can be obtained through any Iowa County Recorder's Office or the State Office for events during these dates.
  • The event occurred between 1885 - 1921
    • And the Marriage Application occurred in Avoca
  • The event occurred between 1917 - 1953
    • And the Marriage Application (not necessarily the wedding itself) occurred in Lyon County

Otherwise, the record is at the State Office. Request a record through the Iowa Department of Public Health website by clicking "Request Record" below.

Request Record

To request a certified record, please visit the Iowa Health and Human Services (IHHS) website. Once there, scroll 1/2 down the page to find "How to request a certified record by mail." The click the "+" sign.  Then "Application for Copy of Vital Record certificate"

Request Record (IHHS)


Photocopies are available for $5 cash/each.

The Record will be noted, "Not for Legal Purposes." 

Our Contact Information: 

Lyon County Recorder
206 S 2nd Ave, Suite 203
Rock Rapids, IA 51246

Phone: (712) 472-8528 Option #6

Back · Lyon County Recorder