Requesting a Marriage Certificate
Certified copies are $15.00 each.
You will need a valid ID or driver's license, be at least 18 years old and have entitlement.
If you are applying for a certified copy through the mail, you must fill out the application with your signature notarized, and we need a copy of your valid ID or driver's license and a money order (made out to the Pottawattamie County Recorder and signed by remitter). Please send everything to the Pottawattamie County Recorder at 227 S 6th St. Room 251 Council Bluffs, IA 51501.
If you have any questions, please call (712) 328-5612 Option #4.
If you do not have a valid driver's license or ID, please provide alternative identification. View Identity Documents for acceptable forms of alternative IDs.
Certified copies are available from our office if:
- The event took place in Iowa between 1954 - Present
- Certified copies can be obtained through any Iowa County Recorder's Office or the State Office for events during these dates.
- The event occurred between 1885 - 1921
- And the Marriage Application occurred in Avoca
- The event occurred between 1917 - 1953
- And the Marriage Application (not necessarily the wedding itself) occurred in Lyon County
Otherwise, the record is at the State Office. Request a record through the Iowa Department of Public Health website by clicking "Request Record" below.
Photocopies are available for $5 cash/each.
The Record will be noted, "Not for Legal Purposes."
Our Contact Information:
Lyon County Recorder
206 S 2nd Ave, Suite 203
Rock Rapids, IA 51246
Phone: (712) 472-8528