Overcast · 32°
Prescription Drop Boxes
Drug drop off boxes are located in Rock Rapids at the Lyon County Sheriff's office (410 S. Boone St.)
The drop off boxes are a safe way to discard expired or unwanted prescription medications and are available 24 hours every day. Medication may be dropped off anonymously; no contact with staff is necessary.
How to dispose of medication
- Please remove all labels
- Check that bottle caps are secure
- Deposit in the drop off container
Please do not deposit the following:
- Biohazard items
- Pen medications
Why drop off unused medications?
- It's a good way to combat and prevent prescription drug abuse.
- Unused, unwanted, or expired prescription medications are a public safety issue, leading to accidental poisoning, overdose, and abuse.
- Unused prescription drugs thrown in the trash can be retrieved and abused or illegally sold.
- Unused drugs that are flushed contaminate the water supply. Proper disposal of unused drugs saves lives and protects the environment.
- Pharmaceutical drugs can be just as dangerous as street drugs when taken without a prescription or a doctor’s supervision.
- The non-medical use of prescription drugs ranks second only to marijuana as the most common form of drug abuse in America.
- The majority of teenagers abusing prescription drugs get them from family and friends — and the home medicine cabinet.
The Substance Abuse Treatment Unit of Central Iowa (SATUCI) has been a great supporter of the drug drop off program and may be contacted through their website.